We have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean over the last couple of decades, always acquiring local hot sauce along the way . Our favorite island? Well that is a bit of a toss up! However, we have a particular affinity for a little town in Tobago. We use the word “little” loosely, since the town of South Albany where our store is located, is dwarfed by this Tobago town!
There is a magical woman in this particular town who has spent her entire life there. She is the matriarch and is known to the locals as Mama Lyda. For 30 years Lyda ran a tiny bar and every Friday she cooked a feast for locals as well as visitors. Karin was informally adopted mid way through our first visit. Lyda nearly handed her the keys to the bar to run while she was away. Through this adoption Karin was afforded Lyda’s insight into local recipes, from Hot Sauce to learning the nuances of Buss Up Shut (more on that at another time).
With Lyda’s blessing we went about making our own variations of her hot sauce. While tamed a bit to accommodate the Northern palette, they are very much the authentic recipe just with a little less heat. We will be putting out an exact version of the original recipe in the near future. Be forewarned with any of our hot sauces, you will feel it! Though you will most definitely smile because of it!
Try them out. We are confident that you will love them!
- Papaya Habanero – Papaya, Peppers (hot & sweet), Onion, Garlic, Vinegar, Water, Salt and spices
- Mango Scotch Bonnet – Mango, Peppers (hot & sweet), Onion, Garlic, Vinegar, Water, Salt and spices
- Jalapeño Lime Zest – Peppers (hot & sweet), Fresh Lime Juice, Onion, Garlic, Vinegar, Water, Salt, Cilantro and spices
- Borracho – Hot Peppers, Tequila, Fresh Lime Juice, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Brown Sugar, Cider Vinegar, Water, Salt and spices
- South Albany Fire – Hot Peppers 4 varieties, Flavor Peppers, Fresh Lime Juice, Onion, Garlic, Vinegar, Water, Salt, Pepper and spices